The Senior Research Scientist is a key member of the Research team of Xoran Technologies; a fast-growing medical device manufacturing company located in Ann Arbor, MI. The primary responsibility of this position is to lead and contribute to scientific research and development of new medical imaging capabilities, including concept development, prototyping of hardware and/or software algorithms, evaluation, and characterization, aligned towards product improvements and new product development. This position reports to the Chief Technology Officer and is an exempt, full-time position located in our Ann Arbor, MI office.
- Lead and perform assigned research projects.
- Develop research plans and procedures, design and conduct experiments, and analysis.
- Conduct research activities using provided laboratory equipment and computer resources.
- Provide medical imaging and image processing expertise to other department members by identifying appropriate literature, articles, training, or other resources to help teammates carry out projects.
- Provide detailed reports on research and development work appropriate for hand-off for implementation by engineering and software teams in a medical device design process.
- Prepare reports and papers of completed projects for reporting on externally funded project progress reports as well as potentially for journal publication, or presentation at conferences.
- Participate in patent application process – from brainstorming to patent application to review.
- Participate in applying for and obtaining extramural research funding through governmental grants, foundations, institutes, and/or corporate sponsors.
- Stay up to date with current trends and findings in the relevant medical imaging technology areas.
- Participate in decision making regarding defined research priorities and provide information on feasibility and expected outcomes of prospective projects.
- Computed tomography
- X-ray system physics
- Technical innovation
- System modelling
- Image processing
- Algorithm development
- Machine learning
- Artifact reduction
- Image quality assessment
- Technical report and grant writing
- Data analysis
- Skill in presenting technical and analytical information
Education & Experience
- Ph.D. in engineering or the sciences (e.g., electrical engineering, physics, applied mathematics, or biomedical engineering).
- 5+ years leading research projects and conducting high-quality medical imaging research.
- Demonstrated high competence with medical image processing, algorithm development using Matlab, C++, signal processing, advanced mathematics and statistical tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated senior level of expertise in medical imaging system development, modelling and characterization, calibration, image quality assessment and improvement, artifact reduction, and implementation of advanced image formation techniques such as statistical model-based iterative reconstruction and/or machine learning techniques.
Xoran Technologies LLC is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, qualifying disability, age, height, weight, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under the law.